Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Fishers Debt Keeps Rising

I had said in an earlier post that pursuant to a Public Records Request I obtained last year, that Fishers' total debt was $252 million. Well, that seems to have changed.

Try to find this information on the Fishers website.  I don't think you can, it simply is not there. But there IS a public resource, called the Indiana Gateway, run by the Indiana Department of Local Government Finance, which has all sorts of interesting information.  The Indiana Gateway can be located here.

So, being curious, I looked up Fishers' total debt. As of today, March 11, 2015, it is an eye-popping $263,610,910.  This is up $11 million from when I asked just last fall.

And the amount of debt being paid by Tax Increment Financing (TIF) revenue is an equally-disturbing $101,540,060.

Keep in mind, the total of Fishers' annual budget this year is only $73 million.

Are you concerned about these numbers?  I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment